Newell Brands Releases 2021 Corporate Citizenship Report and Sets 2040 Carbon Neutral Goal for all Scope 1 and Scope 2 Emissions
Third-annual report highlights progress against corporate citizenship goals on operations, sustainability and diversity, inclusion and belonging and introduces new goals for packaging and philanthropy
“We are delighted to share our 2021 Corporate Citizenship Report and I’m pleased announce our goal to achieve carbon neutrality by 2040 for all Scope 1 and 2 emissions across our portfolio. This commitment symbolizes a significant step forward in our efforts to do our part to combat climate change,” said
- Introduced the Innovation Operating Model, a strategy for product innovation that incorporates new tools for sustainable design.
- Added a new 2025 packaging goal to use at least 20 percent non-virgin (recycled content) in plastic packaging for Newell manufactured goods.
- Seventy designers participated in the
Earth DayDesign Jam and created concepts for turning waste into new products.
- Nearly 83,000 pounds of Home Fragrance products have been collected and recycled through a partnership with TerraCycle since it launched in 2020.
- A cross-functional
Climate Task Forcewas established to create a climate policy and establish a plan for carbon neutrality. Newell Brandscommitted to carbon neutrality by 2040 for all Scope 1 and 2 emissions across the global portfolio.
- Piloted an eight-week energy management program across eight sites that resulted in the identification of 6.2 million kWh of excess energy that could be reduced.
- Thirteen facilities around the world submitted projects for consideration during the Newell Brands Sustainability Excellence Awards program.
- Improved the employee engagement score to 75, in line with global benchmarks and a significant improvement from prior employee engagement surveys.
- Achieved representation of 35 percent women among the direct reports of Business Unit CEOs and center-led Functional Heads as part of the Company’s diversity, inclusion and belonging goals.
- Launched three new leadership development employee programs around the world.
- Reported a .62 global recordable incident rate that is considered a world-class level among manufacturers.
- Donated more than 15 million products worth nearly
$17 millionto support communities in need.
- Through the
Newell Brands Charitable Foundation, supported 14 nonprofits in eight communities across the United Statesas part of the Foundation’s Local Impact Grant Program.
- Created the company’s first matching gift program where employees can donate to three different organizations and the funds are matched dollar-for-dollar by the
Newell Brands Charitable Foundation.
- Established philanthropic goal to invest
$1 millionin our communities through the Local Impact Grant Program by 2025.
This press release and additional information about
This news release contains forward-looking information based on management's current views and assumptions, including goals for and projections of future results, the expected execution and effect of our sustainability and citizenship strategies and initiatives and the amounts and timing of their expected impact. These statements that are based on management's expectations and beliefs concerning future events impacting the company. Many factors outside our control, including competitive pressures, evolving legal and regulatory requirements, and societal and market conditions globally and in the markets in which we do business, could cause actual results to vary.
There can be no assurance that these future events will occur as anticipated. Forward-looking statements speak only as of the date they were made, and we undertake no obligation to publicly update them. Please refer to the cautionary statements set forth in the "Forward-Looking Statements" section and under the caption “Risk Factors” in Newell Brands’ Annual Report on Form 10-K for other factors that could affect these forward-looking statements.
Vice President, Investor Relations
+1 (201) 610-6901
Chief Communications Officer
+1 (470) 580-1086